Thursday 6 March 2014

Introduction: Sami

Hi all!

I am Sami, a soon-to-be 24-year-old TAMK Degree Programme in Media student. I was born and raised in northern capital of Finland, Oulu (see picture 1) and after graduating from upper secondary school in 2009 I've lived all around Finland – and found Tampere to be the place to be.


Picture 1: Forgive the language (for being Finnish and including so many cuss words). I'm not responsible for the meme.

















I am a journalist. I started my career during upper secondary school by writing for regional newspaper Kaleva. Ever since I've worked in radio, local and regional newspapers as well as a freelancer for other mediums.

I began by writing, expanding then to photojournalism and now my aim is to combine text, photography, video and sound in meaningful way on the internet. Sounds challenging? It is. But the truth is that there is no other way: all forms of storytelling need to be used to cover properly the events around the world. I hope I can become that kind of a professional some day.

A Twitterholic I am. It's THE social medium for anyone who seeks the fastest source of information, memes etc. Crowdsourcing has helped journalists – including me – to get leads on different topics. You can follow me on Twitter: @samilindfors (same for Instagram!).

There really are no good photos of me since I'm usually the one behind the camera. This one is from my Instagram and from my #PointlessSelfieWeek project:



My free-time goes by watching good TV series (Breaking Bad in progress!), taking street photos, going to see gigs, reading newspapers and magazines. I also try to produce my ambient-hiphop-experimental album in my home studio but this project has been on-going for years.

I've written mostly in Finnish, but my first English article was published couple of weeks ago by VICE Nordics. It's about a Lahti dish called Lihamuki, meat mug. You can read the article here: Finding the Best Meat Mug in the World

Unfortunately VICE couldn't include "Sami Lindfors is a Tampere-based freelancer and a vegetarian" in the byline, even for the sake of irony.

My blog (in Finnish): http://samilindfors.wordpress.com
My portfolio: http://www.samilindfors.com
My VSCO Grid (mobile photography): http://lindforce.vsco.co

No comments:

Post a Comment